Thursday, March 26, 2009

12-Week Update

Almost 3 months have passed. Lots of ups and downs. Lots of changes. Reminds me of that Beatles’ song, A Long and Winding Road. Anyway, it appears I’ve reached that point in my recovery where progress happens glacially. Instead of celebrating accomplishments like driving a car or ditching my crutches, I have to be content with 2 degree increases in my flexion. That’s like winning the World Series one week, and then trying to get excited about playing in the old man softball league.

The other downside, of course, is that material for my blog is diminishing. It’s tough to fill an entire post about graduating to 4-inch step-ups from 2-inch ones. But I’ll keep trying. I’ll probably transition to brief, bullet-point updates like this one. As always, I’m playing these developments by ear.

• The knee generally feels ok. People keep asking me if it “hurts.” Not really, though the knee gets tired and achy if I don’t rest or ice it regularly. The osteotomy, however, bothers me. The two screws in the tibia are visible when I wear shorts. Seriously, you can see slight bulges, like speed-bumps, on my shin. I don’t expect people to stare at my legs, but they kinda stand out like a third eye. The lateral side (ie, the outside part of my knee, not to be confused with the medial, or inside, part of my knee) sometimes feels like it’s stretched so tight that it’s gonna pop through the skin. I hope that doesn’t happen. It would be really weird if metal screws burst from my leg in the middle of the grocery store aisle. Clean-up in aisle four might be a bit embarrassing.

• 1-legged step-ups and 1-legged mini-squats (no deeper than 45 degrees) are killing me. It’s as much mental as physical. I’m convinced my knee will shatter if I bend any further. But I also have to remember not to push it. The knee is still healing.

• You know how your body twitches slightly during a morning yawn? Well, my gimpy leg convulses like it went into epileptic shock. Very freaky, and not in a good, freaky way like an insane stripper.

• My flexion continues to increase slowly. It reached 125 degrees on Wednesday. I hit 121-122 degrees with no problem, but Judy crunched my leg another 3 degrees. One of these days I’m gonna start crying. Or punch Judy in the face really hard. Not sure which.

No comments: