Monday, March 16, 2009

A Quickie -- 10 1/2 Weeks Update

I had planned on doing an update last week – at 9 ½ weeks – but I was busy with Kim Basinger. Buh-dum bum. Also note the double entendre in the title, “Quickie.” Heheheheh…I’m on a roll today.

After my flexion setback at last Monday’s PT session, I rebounded nicely on Friday. I hit 118 degrees with minimal effort. And then today (Monday), I hit 117 degrees completely on my own, and 120 with Judy’s assistance. Trust me -- those extra 3 degrees aren’t worth the agony. Anyway, I’m pretty much back on track, probably 5 or so degrees behind schedule, largely because of my slow-healing osteotomy. I consider myself within the margin of error.

I had stopped doing step-ups for a few days. My knee just didn’t feel right afterwards. No sharp pains, fortunately, and pain is always the guide. That’s gonna be my new bumper sticker – “Pain is my guide.” It’ll go right next to, “My kid beat up your honor roll kid.” I did heel touches today with no issues, so that’s a good sign. For heel touches, my gimpy leg rests atop a low-level aerobics bench (I moved up from the phonebook), and I “squat” 2-3 inches until my left heel touches the ground. Repeat 40x. Real good times.

The knee remains slightly swollen, though I can finally see the contours of the knee cap. The knee no longer looks like a watermelon; it looks more like a grapefruit. The outside part of the knee is still a bit numb. Neither the surgeon or Judy is concerned, however. Apparently some swelling is expected for months afterward. It also feels like there might be some minor fluid build-up below my knee. The surgeon thinks there’s not enough to aspirate, which he’d prefer to avoid under normal circumstances, but will keep an eye on it at future visits. He also said the potential fluid is outside the joint, which is a good thing.

My next appointment with the surgeon, coincidentally, is Wednesday. I’m trying not to get my hopes up, but I’m supposed to get the brace off. Keep your fingers crossed. Man, 11 weeks. That’s ¾ of a football season.

No comments: