Friday, April 3, 2009

13 1/2 Week Update

This week was full of mixed blessings. Work was exceptionally busy, thus hampering my at-home rehab (and, more importantly, my blogging). I didn’t make it to the gym, rode the exercise bike the bare minimum, and generally neglected my assortment of leg lifts and squats at home. Despite my inattentiveness, however, I made significant progress this week at PT. Shocking, huh?

At Monday’s session, my flexion improved slightly to 126 degrees. I also increased the number of reps for heel touches and single-leg squats. And I did them without the brace for the first time. Even better, my knee didn’t ache afterwards. I also began using Judy’s antiquated stair stepper, basically pumping away but never letting my knee bend further than 30 degrees. (That’s generally the point when the patella begins to bear weight, which I’m trying to minimize). This machine is straight out of a Suzanne Summers infomercial.

On Friday, I reached a new milestone – 130 degrees! Crossed a new threshold. Full flexion ranges from 135-150; it depends on your size and generally flexibility. My good knee can bend 145 degrees. I’ll gladly accept 140. Interestingly, I reached 130 without much assistance from Judy. Usually, she contorts my leg repeatedly, reducing me to tears, before she takes her measurement. This time, my knee “popped” during an abduction movement – from a seated position with my legs straight, I push outward and pull inward against Judy’s pressure. It sounded like somebody’s knuckle cracked. Although this loud sound freaked the bejesus outta Judy, it was only some excess scar tissue breaking apart. It didn’t hurt, and actually provided some relief. Somehow my knee was ready for Cirque du Soleil. Ok, that’s exaggerating things a bit, but you get the idea. Judy was surprised to see how much flexion my knee improved after the popping. Man, 130! And with no tears!

Reaching this target, of course, means karmas gonna demand some sort of setback. That’s how life works, right? Hopefully I won't get kicked by some angry 7-year old this weekend.

Finally, as my regular blog readers realized, this was the longest gap between posts – 8 days. My bad. That’s what happens when work gets in the way. Hopefully this was just an aberration. Another observation: it’s much harder now that it was 3 months ago to write funny material. Back in January when I was pissing in a urinal bottle? And pooping on a raised toilet seat? Like Frank Caliendo says, funny. Very funny. But increasing the number of reps on heel touches? Um, not so much. I never thought I'd be disappointed to leave behind a series of personal humiliations. To counter-balance the lack of embarrassing moments now I’m ambulatory again, I’ll try to weave in random, funny stuff from my world, even if it’s not directly related to my rehab. Hopefully it works. Definitely let me know.

No comments: