Thursday, March 5, 2009

Good-bye to an Old Friend

Ding dong, the CPM is dead! Or to tweak Al Pacino’s famous quote from Scarface, “Say good-bye to my little friend!” Real quick: have you ever seen an athlete’s or rapper’s house on MTV’s Cribz without a Scarface poster? Yeah, me neither.

Over the past 8 weeks, I spent more time with this machine than with my wife or kids. 6-8 hours/day. Brutal. I didn’t want to return the CPM; I wanted to blow it up. Anyway, I no longer needed the CPM once my knee reached a certain flexion. Here's a picture of my leg in the CPM.



My quest for normalcy continues to creep along. With Christina’s blessing, I graduated from Driver’s Ed and got my license last week. I’m back on the roads with no restrictions. So far, I haven’t run over any cats like my friend, Lori, did. I also started taking showers standing up. I’m much cleaner now. I kinda miss my shower seat, however. There’s something comforting about sitting down in the shower. Try it some time. I guess I’ve got something to look forward to when I hit 90.
I’m still wearing the knee brace. I meet again with my surgeon in 2 weeks. Hopefully it’ll come off. But as I’ve learned the hard way already, I’m not counting on it. I think my knee’s ready to handle it; I’m just waiting on the osteotomy to fully heal. Frankly, that’s a bit frustrating because I’ve got no control over how the bone heals. You can’t rehab a bone wedge.

No comments: