Thursday, January 15, 2009

Two Week Update

It’s been 2 weeks since my ACI surgery. I can’t say time’s flown by, because there have been plenty of grueling moments to prolong most days. It also hasn’t helped that I’ve thrown 1 or 2 pity parties, temporarily cursing my decision to undergo this procedure. At the same time, the surgery feels like it happened ages ago, and, though I’ve got a long way to go, at least I know I’ve made some progress. In any event, remaining almost exclusively at home, spending most of the early days in bed, has jacked up my sense of time. Plus, I’ve been watching way too much Dora the Explorer, and that can’t be too good for my brain…

From a physical standpoint, I’m probably ahead of schedule. I realize it’s only been 2 weeks, but achieving these initial rehab goals has elevated my spirits. Trust me. I’ve been beaten down plenty of times, and I’m sure I’ll hit the wall at some point during rehab. However, having some accomplishments under my belt will facilitate my climb over those temporary obstacles. Wow. I’ve really embraced my inner philosopher. Call me SocrateJims. Or Homer Jim. No, wait, that’s too Simpsons-like. Let’s go with Aristotle Jim. Much better. Very regal-sounding.

I just started increasing my CPM again. I hit 75 degrees at the 1 ½ week mark, a relatively rapid rise. Because of the osteotomy, I’m supposed to remain at 75 until Week 3. Since today marks the start of week 3, I resumed my ROM increase. So far, the extra 5 degrees hasn’t felt any different. Indeed, the last 5 degrees of any target number are difficult. As the knee reaches the apex, the tension on the knee cap grows tighter than Joan Rivers’s face (as you can tell, I'm a big fan of face-lift jokes). Along the way, my knee’s “popped” several times. The popping didn’t hurt. To the contrary, it provided relief, much like you feel the moment after cracking your back first thing in the morning. I likely just worked through some adhesions, or scar tissue.

As I mentioned in earlier post, my OS left his practice group to open his own shop as of January 1st. Unfortunately, it was not a friendly split. Just like the practice of law isn’t strictly about providing legal advice, doctors also face business issues as well as dispensing medical advice. I don’t know the details of their split, and frankly I don’t care, except to the extent it impacts the quality of medical care I receive. Sadly, it did.

Turgeon’s old practice, Texas Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Group, ignored 3 of my requests to transfer my medical files, as well as Turgeon’s request. Not only is this illegal and potentially exposes them to liability if something happens to my knee, it’s a stupid business decision. I’m a long-time patient of the practice group. The head doctor, Tarek Souryal, performed my shoulder surgery and evaluated my fractured vertebrae 14 years ago when I was still an SMU Law Student. Christina recently visited a different doctor within the practice to treat her wrist. Despite my long-standing relationship, the practice held my medical records hostage as part of its battle with Turgeon. My welfare, however, is not some bargaining chip to be leveraged. And it’s just fucking stupid to piss off a patient who also happens to be a lawyer. My personal legal skirmishes are legendary. Just ask the local dry cleaner who lost 7 custom-made shirts, and eventually had to cut me a check 10x greater than my initial settlement demand. There’s never been an idiot more deserving of his punishment.

On Wednesday, I stopped by the practice group to demand my records in-person. If they dicked me around, I was prepared to send them a nasty, “give me my records or suffer the consequences” letter. Although the office manager treated me coldly, she handed over my medical jacket, after charging me $25. Apparently, Texas law allows medical providers to charge patients a fee to retrieve and copy their medical records. While I think Dr. Souryal is a fantastic orthopedic surgeon, his group’s handling of this situation has poisoned my opinion of his practice.

No comments: