Friday, January 23, 2009

PT Session Recap

I recently completed the equivalent of two-a-days, heading to PT on Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday started poorly, as I felt drained shortly before PT. I’m not sure why. I didn’t do much, other than heading outside for a little sun for the first time in awhile. But basking in 80-degree sunshine in a lounge chair for 10 minutes shouldn’t deplete a person’s energy. Can’t explain that one.

The PT session went well. I graduated to 2lb ankle weights, and the difference is telling. I’m almost embarrassed by my new muscles. Even extra large gym shorts can’t contain my legs.

I improved my free-standing flexion 3 degrees overnight, reaching 80 degrees. My thigh, however, suffered immensely to achieve this small gain. Dayna – one of Judy’s excellent assistants – was tasked with pinning my right thigh to the table while my gimpy knee dangled over the table edge, allowing Judy to slowly raise and lower the leg to measure my flexion. Apparently, my quads like to explode as my leg contracts, requiring Dayna to press down really hard to keep my knee immobile. Dayna might have a future as a grape crusher, as she generated enough pressure with her hands to make at least 4 bottles of wine. Her handprint remained on my thigh 24 hours later. Of course, she rightfully blames me for squirming too much (I did). Besides, the discomfort in my thigh was a welcome distraction from the soreness in my knee.

At the end of PT, I hopped onto the scale to measure how much weight I was placing on my bum wheel. I’m supposed to be at 50% of my body weight, and reach 75% before next week. For the first time since the surgery, I weighed myself. Wearing tennis shoes and workout attire, I was 152 pounds, a 6-10 pound drop from 3 weeks ago. That kind of weight loss probably would’ve kept me above the yellow line on The Biggest Loser. Of course, I also weigh less than most contestants’ elbows. Anyway, after pressing down on the scale with my right leg, I learned that I was averaging between 80-100 pounds of pressure. I need to reach 115 pounds soon. Pressing down that hard with a straight leg, however, feels unnatural. It contradicts everything you’re taught about avoiding knee injuries. Indeed, people frequently blow their knees by awkwardly landing straight-legged, snapping their ligaments like twigs. I realize that can’t (well, shouldn’t; never say can’t) happen with the brace locked, but it’s difficult to overcome those instincts. It’s just counter-intuitive. But that’s my new challenge for the next several days.

1 comment:

Order & Chaos said...

I fnothing else your story should be inspirational, I find it so. My fifteen year old did'nt play football (allthough to look at him you'd think he does) because he didn't want to do the two a days! Lazy ass kid! No really, he's awesome, but baseball's more his sport anyway. I should direct him to your blog and have him read it though!