Sunday, November 30, 2008

Pre-Op Preparations

Surgery #2 -- aka, the really painful one -- hasn't been scheduled yet. I've been assigned a rep from the cloning factory (sounds like a role in an Arnold Schwarzeneggar movie), and I have another follow-up appointment with my OS on Friday. By then, I’ll hopefully know when the cartilage cells will be ready and we’ll pick a surgery date. Once that happens, I’ll probably start some kind of D-Day Countdown on the blog. Maybe I’ll figure out how to post one of those T-Minus clocks NASA uses for the shuttle launch.

Meanwhile, I’m quickly grasping how drastically this surgery will change my life, especially in the short-term. It’s been just over 2 weeks since the “minor” arthroscopic surgery to harvest the cartilage cells, and my knee is close to 70%. I’m still limping, but I can walk without pain.

Many things, however, remain difficult, including several really simple, daily functions you take for granted. Let's just say it's not easy going potty with a leg you can't bend. I learned this the hard way when I got some sort of stomach bug after Thanksgiving. I spent most of Friday night in the bathroom. Not good times. I was just “thankful” I didn’t puke it up. My knee couldn’t handle praying to the porcelain god. Anyway, I might need one of those medical alert bracelets in case I get stuck on the toilet.

To minimize bathroom difficulties, it's recommended that ACI patients buy a toilet seat riser and shower seat. Neither is covered by insurance. I never thought I’d have to spend the cash left-over in my flex-spending account on these items. I’ll probably be the only shopper under 90 in Wal-mart asking about toiler seat risers. Of course, my recently deceased grandfather had both of these items, and I don’t think any of his heirs claimed them. I wonder what UPS would've said if I tried to ship home a toilet seat riser. Hmm...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Jim - Good stuff here! Sorry to hear about your post-turkey situation. I hope activities prior were slightly more enjoyable. ;-) So you know, I have some equipment from my knee-rehab days, if you're interested. Knee brace, knee cooler (pumps chilled water through hollow knee wrap to minimize swelling). If i find/think of anything else, I'll let you know. I'm sure the docs will have all kinds of gear for you. Good luck!

WB

Jim said...

Thanks, Bill. They gave me the same knee cooler -- the polar care -- after my scope. I'm hoping to upgrade for the real deal....