Saturday, November 7, 2009

10-Month Update

Man, I never thought January and February would end. Shower seats. Toilet seat risers. 23 hours in bed. Sleepless nights. And now it’s November. You know what? I actually miss my toilet seat riser. Crapping that high is kind of empowering. Like driving an SUV. Alright, let’s check out how the knee’s doing today.

Walking around? No problem.

Stairs? Not completely normal, but no real issues. Sometimes I catch myself concentrating on my form, especially that first step.

Bending and squatting? Done cautiously, but capable. 1-legged squats are difficult once the knee bends beyond 60 degrees. At that point, the leg starts to quiver like a guy in the electric chair. The knee feels like it’s struggling to hold it together, like the First Wives Club at a Mathew McConaughey flick.

Surfing? Nope. Crossing my fingers I’ll be able to surf in Maui in May.

Lumberjacking? Not yet, but my chainsaw and flannel shirts are ready.

Kneeling and crawling? Difficult, but possible. It’s uncomfortable, not so much on the actual knee, but on the bone wedge when it brushes against the ground.

Running or jogging? No.

Pain? Not really, though I experience occasional twinges of discomfort on the inside part of my knee. The outside of my knee sometimes feels compressed, like an oversized object trying to squeeze through a smaller hole. (I’ve got several X-rated jokes ready to go, but decided to hold off). Also, the screws in my shin and the bone wedge from the osteotomy are sensitive.

10 months out, I still don’t know whether the surgery was “worth it.” It’s too early to tell. Keep in mind that my knee wasn’t in shambles at the time of the surgery, so I never experienced the debilitating moments some ACI patients suffered through. I decided to go under the knife before my knee rotted away. I’ll probably evaluate this decision every few months for the rest of my life. For my sanity, let’s hope I eventually reach the stage where I conclude the past 10 months – or however many months pass – was worth it.

2 comments:

Char Stewart said...

Jim, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you blogging your whole experience. I am going in for surgery on December 2nd and am really scared! You have talked about everything they have told me to anticipate down to the nerve block and raised toilet seat. I am really really scared! The pain I don't know what to expect with that I have never broken a bone (had 2 kids naturally)but never broken a bone or had metal put in me and they are going to break my tibia and detached and realign my patella along with the transplant. Do you feel it was worth it? Really? I know you stated you weren't sure. I just want the pain to be gone. I hope there is a light at the end of this tunnel, I want to be active again! I cannot stress again how thankful I am that you have taken the time(well had the time right) to blog this. It has helped so much!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. From my hubby too, since he knows what to expect now with helping me.
Char

Anonymous said...

Also wanted to add, I too live in the Dallas area, am going to have Dr. Berman in Arlington doing this surgery. Heard of him? I know you had mentioned your meniscus being torn. Watch that, that is what has shred away on me to get to this point of needing this surgery. I say let him scope you and find out. You don't want that to go. I am at a grade 4 on that scale. (grade 4 being the worst) and am 35. Not a good mix. Just don't let anyone dismiss that. You don't want that pain. I have lived with that pain for 9 years. It sucks! Just make sure and watch it! Thanks again,
Char