Friday, May 29, 2009

5 Months

Wow. 5 months. I still remember lying awake at 3am in mid-January for something like 18 straight nights. Man, I watched a ton of crappy movies on TNT. But not Honey. Jessica Alba. Mmmm. She made many nights bearable.

Anyway, with my leg trapped in a clunky brace, I wondered whether I'd ever sleep through an entire night, let alone walk again. Now? Well, I'm still a tad bitter about my gimpiness, but I'm generally functional. Even my limp sometimes disappears. And I'm getting ready to try the elipitical machine for some desperately needed cardio. The recumbent bike just ain't cutting it. The 12 pounds lost immediately after the surgery returned. And these pounds I packed on aren't the type like those following an HGH cycle. These extra pounds kinda just hang on me like a cheap suit.

I'm down to 1 PT session/week. I'm heading to the gym about 5x/week, banging out most of the same exercises on my own. Plus I do tons of SLRs at home sitting on the couch every day. My right quad is still pretty squishy, but if you squint hard enough you can see the contour of some tiny muscles. Kinda like my abs when I was 12 years old.

I'm also trying to resume a normal workout schedule. Prior to the surgery, I used to head to the gym 2-3x during my lunch break at the office. These trips were in addition to the 2-3x each week I'd head to the gym in the morning. Though my somewhat chaotic work schedule isn't exactly cooperating, I'm close to recapturing that routine. And that's a good thing. My happiness is closely tied to maintaining a schedule. Just in time for summer.

9 comments:

Zach said...

Jim (or anyone that reads this comment),

How did you decide on ACI surgery instead of Microfracture? I was recently diagnosed with a 1cm by 2cm legion on my femoral chondryte. The first doctor I saw immediate told me to get Microfracture surgery. I went to see a second doctor who told me that ACI was an option. All of the information I have read on the internet seems to be somewhat inconclusive, but that ACI does show better promise in terms of long term results. How did you decide on the ACI procedure instead of Microfracture? How did you find your doctor? How did you deal with the insurance company?

I went to the doctor to have what I thought was some minor meniscus damage repaired. Now I am faced with one of the most difficult decisions I will ever have to make. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach

Jim said...

Zach -- Feel free to call me at 214-566-6073 to discuss the issues you raised.

Also, http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/
is the "go to" website for knee surgery options. They've got tons of discussion boards just on ACI and microfracture, and they actually debate the pros and cons of each option. Jim

Zach said...

Jim,

Thanks for the info...I have definitely been checking out that website but will continue to search for more information there. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me. Please let me know what times are convenient for you. I am on the East Coast and will talk at whatever time works for you. Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly.

Jim said...

No worries. This surgery is a huge deal; definitely life-changing. Glad to answer any questions you might have.

I'm in Dallas (Central time). I'm free Thursday after 1pm Central time, and generally free most of Friday afternoon, too.

Email me directly at etrij@sec.gov to let me know when you want to chat rather than respond via the comments on the blog.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I haven't had a chance to read all your past posts yet, but I'm curious at 5 months out, are you nearing "normal?" How much longer until you think you'll be to 100%?

I am currently considering ACI, but will admit I was a little concerned about the 16 months of rehab I've heard of...

Thanks!

Lynn and Matt said...

Jim-
I am so happy that I found your blog!
On June 23rd I will be having my ACI, meniscus transplant and ACL reconstruction surgery-yikes!
I have read you blog from start to finish now and really enjoy your insight.
I thought that I would also keep a little blog journal, but I'm not sure that I will be able to keep up with it (and I know that it won't be as humorous as yours!)
Oh man-toilet seat and shower chair...I guess I need to add those to my shopping list!

Jim said...

Wow. ACI and ACL. Good luck. Glad my blog helped. If you live near Dallas, the toilet and shower chair are all yours. If not, I've gotta find a nursing home to donate them to. I don't plan on hanging onto them for the next 50 years.

Let me know how your surgery and rehab go. I found that the blog kept me sane during those first few weeks. If you start one, email me a link.

Take care,
Jim

Lynn and Matt said...

Jim-

Thanks for the encouragement!

I actually live pretty close in Arlington. Maybe I'll take you up on the handicap items. I just got my handicap hangtag yesterday at the DMV-can't wait to use it!

I currently have a blog that I have used to journal general happenings. I may just add to it instead of starting another one. You can click on my name and link to the blog, or it is http://ourrottendogs.blogspot.com
I have entered a few posts about my knee but I don't want to bore (or scare) my friends and family with all the details!

It's good to hear from you!

Jim said...

Hey, if my toilet seat riser and shower chair can help somebody else, I'm all too happy to donate them. Email me directly at etrij@sec.gov if you want to arrange a time to pick them up.

Look forward to following your blog.

Jim